View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #216 (permalink)
NoD~
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
You'll want a diode or relay, the Meanwell unit will drain your battery eventually if left to sit.

This is the rectifier I ordered: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amico-SQL-1...72.m2749.l2649

This is the relay: https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-SGP38...keywords=sgp38

I opted for the Meanwell HRP-600-12 rather than 15, because I will likely reuse it as a 12v power supply after I finish my K conversion. If I planned to keep the car that way indefinitely I'd have used the 15.

EDIT: Have you yet read my k-conversion thread?
Excellent! I saw something about a diode and wondered if there was a good relay as an alternative (more efficient), so thanks for the input!

Does the 15v version drop down to ~14v or lower OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
That very thing is why I'm driving the Volt now! I drove Ron Burgundy around with the IMA turned off for a while but even in dead-flat Florida it was too slow to be practical.

Of course I killed my IMA battery by falling asleep while discharging it with two 200 watt bulbs, so it was my own fault, not Honda's . . . but I got tired of the Insight pretty fast after that happened
I saw Balto is considering building a bolt-on turbo kit. That would make a big difference, especially on the hills! That or I've looked into a D15 or D16 Honda swap. That would be a MASSIVE gain in power (doubling, basically!). Debating on those two options, but want to see what it feels like after getting all the weight I can out of it. According to online calculators, dropping 100lbs in weight should give my little car over 3/10th of a second faster. Nothing huge, but should be a noticeable gain in the daily driving routine!

But hey, cars nearly 20 years old, I don't blame anybody who decides to move on!

Last edited by NoD~; 07-16-2018 at 05:20 PM..