View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 12:14 AM   #220 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Purchased the HX wheels today. They are so friggin light; I can throw one up in the air and catch it with ease. Best part is that they were only 6 miles from my house.

The parts car was advertised as a 98 EX coupe, but it's actually an automatic (or CVT?) HX. Sad to see such a fuel efficient lean burn civic head to the junkyard. Looked pretty beat up though; around 250K miles on it and it looked like its owners never really cared for it. He moved the car back a couple feet before taking the tires off and the engine was already smoking. Car cost him $400 originally and he put 1000-2000 miles on it. Junkyard offered him $250, so with that and my $100 for the rims he isn't doing too bad, although he's of the type that's probably spent the $100 already lol.

I never noticed how perfect the HX rims are for smooth wheel covers! There's like a lip on the edge that makes smooth discs perfectly nestle in there, and the spokes are thin so zip ties won't stick out at all.

Going to be ordering tires soon and getting those on and mounted. Looking at Hankook Optimo H724 All-Season 185/75R14 tires - on sale for just $37.77 each + free shipping on Amazon. No local store carries those tires unless I want to spend $90+ per tire.

70,000 mile warranty too. Maybe I'll pump them up to 50 PSI and heck, if they go bad before 70K I get new tires for free.

Now to sell my current tires and rims. My 195/65R15 tires have ~2400 miles on them; $150 obo if anyone wants to come pick them up in a week. Stock 7th gen EX sedan rims for sale too $300 obo, also if anyone wants to come pick them up in a week. 4 185/65R14 tires for sale too, 3 are good, one is eh, okay I guess. You can have them for $50 if you want to come pick them up in a week. Unless y'all want to pay for shipping. Or just come anyway, I'd love to talk shop in person with someone from Ecomodder!

Have a road trip to Virginia for college orientation; would love to have the new tires all mounted and set for the trip to help with the terrible hills in WV, but tires won't come until the day I get back.

Redid my tail extension since my first one was falling apart. New one is an inch longer and is about as long as I feel comfortable going. It covers the whole trunk and extends out, making this one significantly more stable.

I tried the melting plastic method of waterproofing; I didn't feel like using 20 square feet (~1.9 square meters) of duct tape, so I stapled & taped plastic garbage bags over the cardboard and melted them on using a propane torch. I then painted the whole thing silver and finished mounting it just before I had to leave for work today. Will post pics asap but I'm super busy as usual.

I may try the melted plastic bag waterproofing for the smooth discs for the HX wheels.

Still too excited about my HX rims though. I actually have genuine HX rims!!!!!

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
The Following User Says Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
Ecky (07-19-2018)