View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 11:51 PM   #223 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Congrats! HX rims are only about 11 pounds, but I bet the OEM wheels were 18 even if alloy. Mine were 16 pound alloys and they were 14 inchers. Anyway, you may have shaved 30 pounds dead weight and a hundred or more rotational mass. I recently had my VX wheels on the car for a few days and even though my MINI rims are only 12 pounds, I felt the differences. For a hypermiler in stop/go traffic light weight wheels are gold because you often lose part of your coasting chances to braking for stops (lights and traffic), yet you always have to use gas to accelerate again.
Thanks! Still can't believe the deal and how close locally they were. And yes, 18 sounds about right for my EX rims. What I do know is that they're significantly heavier than the HX rims!

Hopefully getting these rims on will help my pizza delivery MPG. Still only averaging upper 30s MPG on deliveries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
HX are nice rims, and it sounds like you found a really lightweight set of tires for them too.

I have a set for my winter tires:
Yup, now I just need to order them.

Non-aero wheels on an insight?!? How much do your OEM Insight rims weigh?

--------------

Took off my mirror boattails. They were coming detached and I was having to use duct tape to hold them in place, which smeared all over my windows and was a pain to clean. Even so, at speeds above 40 MPH they would vibrate too much and probably weren't helping at all. Plus, they were the most aesthetically displeasing mod. So I removed them.

Also going to remove my trunklid extension today. Apparently melting plastic bags over cardboard does not make it waterproof. Going to save it and build a replacement for it out of coroplast. Also going to be getting black coroplast for smooth wheel covers for my HX rims once I get those on. So...no trunklid extension for my trip to VW in 2 days, AND no HX rims on either...grr...but after that I'll get crackin' on it. When I have time though. Been working ~55 hours a week on average; 58 this week and 17 hours just tomorrow lol.

Any tips on painting coroplast? I can get black coroplast, but I can get 32 square feet of white coroplast for the same price as 20 square feet of black coroplast.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)