View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 03:54 AM   #256 (permalink)
ProDigit
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Overspeeding is not so uncommon here too, but my main concern would be the big rigs due to their poor braking performance.
Braking performance depends on weight.
My experience, anything below 350LBS can brake very well!
Anything above 400LBS, is prone to a low side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I'm very seriously considering buying a 2019 Honda Super Cub next spring.

125cc / EFI / ABS / $3600

Very nice! With some saddlebags, you can actually do groceries with it, and I like the leg flaps that protect you from the rain.
Only thing missing is a windshield; big enough to hide behind, during a downpour.

The real older models had a manual 3 or 4 speed transmission. But for these kind of bikes, a CVT makes more sense.
City bikes are ok with a CVT. No shifting, better low end torque; faster off the line.

CVTs are good for cities, but they're lousy for highways (more friction losses and wear, lower MPG).
For highways, nothing beats a standard manual. If final gear is high enough (revs at 2-3k RPM at 45-60 MPH), they're also best for suburbs (~45MPH). Great gas mileage.
I think 100cc-125cc with a CVT is the sweet spot for city riding.

I would also never go for electric.
I do am hoping for hybrid bikes using super capacitors, rather than batteries.
Having a regular bike, with a 1000-3000W electric motor (or HUB) at the front wheel, would make it not only accelerate faster, but more stable in snow, and less prone to slippage. The motor just for regenerative braking and acceleration. It could also use some of the remaining power of the stator, that's just going to the ground on most scooters.