Thread: truck tires...
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 10:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
steve05ram360
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
There's an awful lot to unpack here.

First, do you have a 1500 or a 2500? The 1500 took P type tires and the 2500 takes LT type tires. Neither of those came with 285's, so it is a larger than stock tire.

What tire pressure?

And what is going to happen I think depends on the truck's gearing. It's clear that the highway fuel consumption will go down, but the commute is another story. If you can keep your foot off the accelerator and not try to compensate for the slower acceleration that taller tire will give you, I think you can get better MPG's - but that urge will be hard to resist.
Truck is a 2500, tire pressures are at 52/50 F/R. Gearing is 3.73 with 33" on there now.

Your take is 180* from mine, I think the commute is going to suffer a bit with all the takeoff events that come with it. Currently the commute mpg is a tad bit better than straight hiway.

Back in 2014/15 I had Nitto TG's on there, 285-75-17's and was easily able to get into the 21-22 mpg range on the hiway. Wheels at the time were the heavier H2's that weighed 9# more vs the current OEM wheel (36# drop across 4 wheels). With the current tire, doing the math it looks like I've dropped 14# per corner, 9# wheel + 5# tire. I'd be gaining back the +5 from the taller tire.

Question still remains, what's going to happen coasting downhill with the heavier tire? Adds drag cause of the weight?