View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 08:29 PM   #227 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 64.01 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
Coroplast is a pain to paint, I color matched it on the Malibu but the slightest scratch from foliage would peel off chunks of paint... might have better results with plasti-dip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I've been told if you hit the surface of the coroplast with either some heat or acetone, it'll make paint stick better, but I haven't tried it.
Oh well. I guess I'll buy the black coroplast for the wheel covers and to redo my lower grille block, and then get the larger sheet of white coroplast to redo my tail extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
My Insight aero rims are a pound lighter than the HX, but good luck finding a set.
Yeah, there was no one selling Insight rims. And no one locally parting out a Honda Insight, Gen 1 or not.

Besides, I remember reading somewhere on the site that the inset or something on the Gen 1 Insight rims makes them incompatible with Civics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Yes, I was interested in Gen 1 Insight rims for a while but could not find them. Then I saw how the tire selection on 14" rims had been declining on tirrack.com so I began seriously hunting for 12# 15" MINI seven hole rims. I liked the added gearing benefit but wish it did not have to come with the 9% added weight penalty. 15" Enkei RP-F1 are only 9.5 lb and 15" Kosei K4R are onky 10.7 lb but both much more expensive, especially if you have to buy tires still, and neither can be effectively modded for better aero. The MINIs are almost perfect.
But Ebay and Amazon always seem to have a surplus!

How long did it take for you to find a reasonably priced set?

The HX rims are also perfect for modding. Can't wait for the tires to come so I can have them mounted and balanced.

This started with someone advertising a set of 7th gen Civic hybrid rims for $125 obo. Those are 14" and 14lbs (I think?) so it would be a 4lb weight savings per wheel, but if I swapped wheels, I wanted to go all out. My options were: 13" VX rims, 14" HX rims, Gen 1 Insight rims, and the 10.5lb 14" Miata rims from 92 or 94-97. However there aren't any tires in production that would fit the VX rims without negatively affecting the RPMs in my car, and the only set of those Miata rims cost $450. Gen 1 Insight rims don't fit to my knowledge and are impossible to find, so I began searching for HX rims. They were all either too expensive or too far away until these ones.

I leave tomorrow on my trip to Virginia for my college orientation. This will be the first time my car has seen the highway since I started hypermiling. Hoping to beat 45 MPG on the highway. My last two tanks have been 42.6 MPG with ~95 miles on the bad O2 sensor still, ~130 miles of personal driving, and ~200 miles of pizza delivery. I filled up again today with two thirds of my miles being pizza deliveries, and got 44.5 MPG even with more miles being deliveries.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)

Last edited by mpg_numbers_guy; 07-21-2018 at 09:17 PM..