View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #88 (permalink)
jjackstone
Master EcoModder

I had been wondering what the new EPA administrator was planning to do about mr. pruitt's attempt to destroy the fuel emission standards set by Obama. Here's what I found.

Future of Fuel Economy Standards
The White House also is reviewing the Pruitt EPA's draft of a new set of regulations on greenhouse gas emissions from cars and light trucks. The draft proposes freezing the emissions standards that the Obama administration crafted in an historic deal with automakers in the wake of their federal government bailout in 2009.

On this proposal, Wheeler could well decide to take a less confrontational path than Pruitt, who indicated he was prepared to challenge California's authority—enshrined in law since the 1970s—to set its own, stricter air pollution rules. Automakers have repeatedly urged the Trump administration to try to reach an agreement with California.

"The automakers are saying, 'Don't start a war with California that we will have to conduct, and get the whole thing rejected by the courts, and leave us with the blame,'" Becker said.

In a blog post published after a contentious meeting between auto executives and Trump at the White House, Ford's executive chairman, Bill Ford, and CEO, Jim Hackett, wrote that their company acknowledged the need to address climate change due to carbon emissions. "We support increasing clean car standards through 2025 and are not asking for a rollback," they wrote. "We want one set of standards nationally, along with additional flexibility to help us provide more affordable options for our customers."

Becker said that translates into a roadmap that Wheeler may be inclined to follow: "Lots of loopholes—the same rollback, but where the public can't really see it."

I hope someone is paying close attention to this man.

In answer to my own post here, the following popped up in the news today.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ntent=politics

It basically says that the EPA is going to continue the fight against California's stricter air pollution measures.

JJ

Last edited by jjackstone; 07-23-2018 at 02:52 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to jjackstone For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-25-2018)