View Single Post
Old 07-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #92 (permalink)
jjackstone
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The auto makers shouldn't have to cater to California.
They're just driving the vehicle price up for everyone who isn't in California.
So here is another argument about whether or not individual states can be allowed to set their own laws. I agree that all states should not have to follow California's regulations. But if automakers want to sell cars in California they should have to follow state laws and the Feds need to keep their nose out of it.
If the manufacturer doesn't want to do it for other more lenient states then that is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
If car makers didn't sell cars in California, they would go out of business. California and the other states that follow their regs buy a huge portion of the vehicles sold in the US. Like almost half of them.
Californians buy over 2 million of the 17 million new vehicles purchased in this country every year. That's about 17% of all new cars sold in the country. We only have 10 - 12% of the population. Manufacturers don't have to sell here but I bet they want to. A lot. I would guess that if they wanted to stop selling here we wouldn't even notice. I would expect that newer more nimble and innovative companies would love to step in to take up the slack. It would likely also speed the move to electric vehicles and I'm ok with that too.
JJ
The Following User Says Thank You to jjackstone For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-25-2018)