View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #46 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

Exclamation Caution, possible hazard!

Danger, Will Robinson!

Your 2003 Ranger has a different part number for the rack and pinion than my 2000 Ford Explorer, but it is the same basic system/design. I have found only one reference to the problem in a vehicle newer than 2000, but there's a potential failure mode here that's quite scary.

I have experienced this first hand: If you turn the steering wheel at all with the engine off - and no electric power steering pump to keep fluid under pressure in the system - you will get air into the steering.

That air will eventually cause a MAJOR DEATH-WOBBLE! The steering wheel starts juddering violently back and forth. At 55mph that was scary as hell. I thought a tie-rod end had come loose and one or both wheels was whipping back and forth like a bad shopping cart caster. The fix is to pull over and, with the engine running, crank the steering lock to lock several times to purge the air.

I've wanted to try EOC'ing my Explorer, but I've had to give up even coasting downhill out of the driveway once I experienced that issue and learned the cause.

You might want to try and re-create the problem in a controlled manner before trying to EOC at speed, or do some more research.

Me, I must wait until I get enough round-tuits to manage to put in an electric power steering pump.

Good luck!