View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 03:13 AM   #44 (permalink)
AdrianD
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
I ended up buying a $1 flashlight from a dollar store and zip tied it to my handlebar/stem and it is *just barely* adequate, but it got me on the road...
PLEASE get good lights for your bike. If a couple of street lights have larger spacing between them you are invisible if the light outside is not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
With some eyeballing, I think a 42mm tire would fit the hybrid, but I’ll worry about that when it’s closer to time for snow to fly, as that bike needs some love to be reliable for commuting...

How do I adjust the derailleurs to shift better? I don’t know jack about adjusting them, last time I tried I basically ruined it (I was 15)... when it’s on the small chainring, the chain pops in the lower gears, and it happens a little in the middle chainring (and in 1st gear mostly), but it’s smooth on the big chainring...

I did adjust my brakes, but I still think it could stand a little better set of pads, I’ll wait until these are fairly worn though...
You can try this tutorial for setting up the rear derailleur: https://www.artscyclery.com/learning...railleurs.html

Stretched cables and worn cable housing will affect shifting a lot.

For the past 5 years I've went to work almost exclusively by bike (4 miles from my house to the office, alongside cars and on bike lanes alongside walkways) and I what I can say so far:

Get good tires. They cost more but will pay off in having less drag, better life and puncture resistance. I run Schwalbe Marathon supreme (700-32C). It sucks if you get a flat and have to push your bike back home, so keep a spare tube, a light pump and a set of tire levers.

If you plan to ride in the rain or snow, waterproof equipment is your friend: shoe gaiters and drop pants keep your bottom half dry and most importantly warm. Jackets, gloves and balaclavas are easier to find. The coldest I rode in was -4F and all it took to keep my legs comfortable was a set of skiing wool underpants, thin drop pants and gaiters.
Depending on traffic and pollution on your route, a pollution mask is also a good idea.

Good brakes, as you never know when you have to stop quickly, especially if you plan on going fast.

I had a short period when I tried a road bike with oldschool downtube shifters but it was slower overall than a mountainbike with street tires.

Slowly but surely you'll wear out the hill, it's going to become smaller and smaller as you get fitter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AdrianD For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (07-28-2018), Grant-53 (07-25-2018)