View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
M-b 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by razordave View Post

Here's a car with the same chassis as mine with the aerodynamic template overlain.

Feel free to correct me if I set it up wrong.

I built a decklid extension last night. I Was thinking 4 sided box cavity/ psuedo boat tail, but as with most things in life, I may have dove in too soon.

I read a few threads last night whilst half asleep and now feel as if I can actually do something worthwhile now.

The decklid extension stays for now. I'm going to try my hand at rear partial belly pan and get my front air dam sorted.

I removed the rear bumper for a trailer hitch receiver, I may just leave it off. I'm thinking of routing my exhaust between the hitch and body, separate from the under body air.

In my mind I'm building a small diffuser for the bottom side of the pseudo boat tail and the exhaust will vent inside the box.

What I am worried about is poisonous diesel exhaust making its way back into the cabin. Do I need additional air introduced at the same plane? Maybe route the radiator air between the floor pans and under tray?
Wanted to know if you'd seen the M-B 190 EVO?
*A rooftop deflector,fitted to the template might help manage flow off the top.
*On the 190 EVO,you can see that the base of the rear wing projected back at least as far as the rear bumper did.
*If your deck extension went that far,then,at that length,you could angle it up to reach the template contour.
*You could also do a bi-wing as with the mid-1980s Ford Scorpio/Merkur XR4Ti.
*With the 2013,M-B IAA,you can see how they pushed the rear of the car near the template,for Cd 0.19.And you can see how the little boat tail extension reaches at an angle up to the template contour.
*Your tail could do likewise.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
*As to the exhaust,it would be good to extend the tailpipe to the side or down through the bottom of the new diffuser to get that area washed by the air stream.You don't want the exhaust to have any chance to find a way into the cabin.

Last edited by aerohead; 07-25-2018 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: typo