View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 11:33 PM   #235 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
Team Toyota
90 day: 62.22 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
Team Mazda
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
but it may not be cost effective if they're a lot more expensive.
^^That^^ I have to remind myself that part of ecomodding is saving money, not just MPG numbers. Went with a set of all season 185/70R14s (same size wheel as on Civic hybrid) on sale for $129. Tires come July 31 and my appointment for getting them mounted and balanced is Aug 2, the day before my trip to New York. The narrower tires I really wanted were about twice as expensive due to being a less-common size, and were a lower quality brand as well. All in all the wheel/tire swap will be costing me roughly $300, and if I can't make that or close to that selling my current rims/tires, well then I'm screwed lol.

Noticing roughly a 1 MPG drop without my wheel covers on, and more dust being kicked up on dirt roads (drag?).

Recap:

Tail extension was removed since it helps MPG and hurts MPG depending on conditions. Unable to determine a net gain/loss so I removed it.

Mirror boattails flapped too much at 45+ MPH so I removed them.

Wheel covers are off after my brakes heated up from my trip and will stay off until my new tires are on.

I'm down to just a grille block and air dam! And still easily beating 50 MPG! However trips that should be upper 50s MPG-wise are "only" mid-50s due to my lack of ecomods.

I need my new rims/tires mounted so I can mount my new wheel covers and do my 4th attempt at wheel skirts!!

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)