View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 12:28 AM   #248 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.75 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Most LRR tires have a poor tread pattern for snow, but that can be true of any tire. High silica content probably keeps them softer than most normal tires at low temperature so in that way they're probably superior. Most winter tires are very low rolling resistance because what makes their tread compound soft at low temperature also lowers rolling resistance.

I know it varies from vehicle to vehicle, but in the Insight, going with something other than RE92's can be worth as much as 15-20mpg. This is a car that is capable of 100mpg mind you, with excellent aerodynamics so as to make rolling resistance a relatively larger portion of energy wasted, but *if* it scaled for a Civic the same way, you'd be looking at maybe 6-8mpg at the upper end. It's likely less.
That much? HOW? I haven't seen that much about that large of a gain in the forums here. The tires I bought cost $129.60. The Michelin Defenders cost close to $400. $270 is a lot of cash to fork out for just 1 or 2 MPG. That's more than I've spent in gas in entirety since I bought the car in January.

With your previous example of 44 vs 48 mpg, or a ~9% improvement, at my current cost of ~$0.07/mile I'd need to travel 42857.1 miles just to break even ($270 extra over a $0.0063 savings per mile). With me going to college this fall and driving 2000-5000 miles max a year starting next year the numbers don't seem to add up on my end, and that's assuming a 9% increase in MPG.

And if I pumped the tires up to 50 or 60 PSI that would help close the gap between the two tires, right?

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)