View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 07:38 AM   #79 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
True, people think snow or a dirt road must equal truck or suv, preferably 4x4... preferably V8... preferably able to tow an apartment complex up a mountain.
Not to mention that an oversized redneck Cadillac or soccer-mom bulldozer might not have the same ease of a smaller vehicle in tighter passages. Last week I had a talk with a Toyota J40 owner about this very same matter, and it's worth to notice the SWB and even the MWB 2-door hard-top J40 are more compact than a present-day Corolla, even though people seem to not be so willing to get on their way because they lead to a different size impression. Quite weird, but accurate.

Quote:
Makes you wonder how everyone prior to the '80s (about the time the 4x4 thing started becoming mainstream) SURVIVED!!!
I don't know about the U.S., but in other countries it's still not unusual to see farmers relying on small 2WD vehicles, even though the days of the VW Beetle and Citroën 2CV are mostly gone. Yesterday I even saw a Fiat Uno with an utility trailer at a farmers market...