View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
corsa underside

Modmonster,as Big Dave has said,it really does depend on the particular vehicle.And as Tango Charlie has mentioned,as the full bellypan is always favored by die- hard aero guys (and gals!),if you can't go that deep,the the airdam can serve as a palliative.------------------------ Here's the rub for you.Adam Opel AG,who developed the Corsa,does a lot of wind tunnel development with their cars,and I suspect that they "looked" very hard at both it's nose and underside.The car should already have a form of front airdam integrated into it's fascia.Also,being a uni-body type vehicle,lacking the deep recesses of a body-on-frame chassis ( as in a pickup truck,or truck based SUV ),the platform no doubt,has already received many small refinements to shield undercarriage components from the air. Auto makers have done a lot of this sort of "unseen" development since the 1970s.-------------------- So,this area of the car may have already seen much "optimization" and might not "show" remarkable improvements from more "radical" modifications.------------------------------------- For some,it comes down to,"I have to know!" And they just jump in, with a leap of faith.I'm willing to lose money on my own experiments,although am reluctant to waste other's hard earned money.--------------------------------- So where does this leave you? If you can find my installment on aero mods,% mpg change (under vehicle modifications)in the archives or earlier pages,I've listed all the quantitative values I have for these kinds of mods.If you'll study those numbers,it may give you some insight as to what you might expect with the Corsa.-------------------------- If you run into a snag,let us know,and we'll jump back in.Good luck with the project!