View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #25 (permalink)
an0nymous
EcoModding Lurker

Arrgh frustration. First went to Autozone and rented a valve spring compressor. Then after I got back and stared at it I realized the claw type compressor wasn't going to work so i returned... it was the only kind they had. I then went to NAPA and the guy said he could have one shipped within a week.... hmm no thanks. Next: Pep Boys -Got the c-clamp style compressor, good. Got back and... there was no way the little retention cup thing was going to fit enough into the well to rest on the top of the spring. Went back to pep boys.. it's the only kind they have. "I haven't seen an engine like THAT for years" Asked the guy what I should do.. he recommended cutting a socket in half (!!?) and using it in conjunction with their valve spring compressor. uhhh. hmm.

I ask you, oh metro gods, how am I to remove these valves? Is there some secret sort of valve spring compressor of which I am not aware, like a motorcycle spring compressor or something?
And what that heck is that plate with the rotten rubber from 2 posts back, while you're at it?

Last edited by an0nymous; 08-30-2008 at 05:37 PM..