View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 05:24 PM   #73 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
I think most of those problems are addressable.

There will be wear on the traction battery, but the incentive would be such that it more than compensates for wear, and there would be a strategy to limit the depth of discharge to keep the battery in the not-too-much-wear zone. The incentive to the customer is that they get to charge with cheap off-peak rate electricity, and sell it back at on-peak prices. Say the owner supplies 30 kWh of on peak energy per day, and the difference in power cost is 10 cents per kWh, that's $3/day, or $1,100/year.

EV owners would have an app on their phone that they can use to easily manage participation. They could specify scheduled days and times that they will not participate, or schedule 1-time events where they opt out. No penalty except they miss out on the profit to be had selling back energy at peak rates.

EVSE would have to be designed in such a way to allow 2-way power flow. Should be a very minor technical design consideration. The app on the phone would set the schedule of the wifi connected EVSE, which is controlled by the utility, with a manual override.

Most of the equipment necessary is already included with EVs. The onboard charger already handles converting 240v AC to high voltage DC, and vice versa. It would simply need to be made more intelligent to sync with utility waveform and detect things like power outages to disconnect from the grid.

Probably a pipe dream, but I can't see it being a failure due to cost or inconvenience, but rather organizing the various groups to work together.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!