View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 04:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
steve05ram360
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Yeah, I don't know how I got that either. Maybe I was tired. Still, 4% doesn't sound reasonable. A lighter drive shaft improves efficiency almost exclusively due to speed changes. Steady state cruising should show no measurable improvement in fuel efficiency (conservation of momentum). Maybe there were bearings that were replaced along with it, or perhaps the heavy one was unbalanced?

I dunno, I'm just saying weight is difficult to see an improvement in MPG no matter where it is removed. If people are seeing big improvements from weight reduction, they are probably using their brakes too much.

Everyone has their limit for debate, discussion, and argument. My point is that I'd rather have you share your data and not reply to our doubting comments than to give up entirely.
The biggest bangs for me were the light weight wheels, lift removal and the driveshaft. The 2 weight reduction mods shine for me because nothing is flat around here. So every takeoff event, uphill drive and possibly coasting downhills benefited from it.

When i modified the air entry into the rear bumped coasting was definitely effected, i could not however say if there was much if any mpg change with it. It was clear to me that it was a good change when i could coast on some of the flatter downgrades with the change in place. Once i removed it i lost that coasting opportunity, lose too much speed to fast to get away with it. I still have to go back and find the right solution for it as the test was just tape and a piece if plastic redirecting flow around the bumper vs allowing it to flow into it. This mod was a minor improvement, the driveshaft change had far more of an impact in many more driving situations which to me explains the bump in mpg...