View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Well the movies had many unanswered questions, like why didn't the ring make Bilbo evil when he had it for so long? Why couldn't they just drop the ring into the depths of some ocean? Why not make an even more powerful ring, but put less evil into it this time? Why rings? Whose finger was it sized to fit, and how is it that everyone else is also able to fit it? Why didn't they freaking fly to the volcano in the beginning and drop it in rather than go through hell getting there? Why was the ring so powerful when other people wore it, but only allowed a disappearing trick when Frodo wore it?

There was literally no character development in the movies. Every character had the exact same flaws, if not more, by the end of the movie. The ring was accidentally destroyed while people (creatures) were fighting for it.

Granted, I may be wrong about many of my assumptions since I have a hard time watching 3hrs of nonstop action sequences without thinking about other things. The Bilbo movie was unbearable, as the entire thing was about constantly falling, and yet somehow not dying.

... as we all know, movies simply can't do justice to books when they have to cram everything into 2-3 hours. The Martian is the best book I've read, but was a little boring to watch. Most of Michael Crichton's excellent books made bad movies, with exception of Jurassic Park. Sphere was a phenomenal book, and a fairly bad movie.

I keep wanting the Foundation series to become a movie series now that visual effects can do what is described in the books, but I realize the movies probably stand no chance of doing the books justice. Maybe Netflix can pick it up as a TV series instead.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 08-07-2018 at 07:02 PM..