View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
Apparently the blower motors in our cars are driven in an archaic manner by putting resistors in series with the motor where the resistor can consume quite a bit of power.

Anyhow, I got the assembly removed and hooked up the motor to my 24V up to 5A adjustable power supply and (at 12V) it drew more than 5A and the motor works. So I think that the controller for the motor has kicked the bucket.

...So my car may not be as inefficient as I had thought...
When you say AC blower, you mean Air Conditioner, and not Alternating Current, right? This confused me for way longer than it should have...

What do you mean that your car is not as inefficient as you had thought? Did you measure the resistors to see how much energy is wasted at each blower setting? Would be very interesting to know.

Your plan sounds good to me, although I've not looked into the specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
Btw, are there reusable cabin air filters much like K&N for engine air filters?
Paper filters are reusable, even more easily so than oil-based ones. Simply knock the dirt off by tapping it against a solid object like the pavement. If you really want to, use compressed air at a reasonable distance so as to not tear it and blow it out, or use a vacuum.

I never replace filters in any of my vehicles, including engine air filters, or HEPA filters in vacuum cleaners.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!