View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 09:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/lea...tyre-labelling

Who assigns the ratings to the EU tyres. They have ABC EFG for RR, A the best

"Save up to £110 or 80 litres of fuel over the life of the tyres. That’s for a car fitted with four A-rated tyres driving at 50mph – it uses 7.5% 1* less fuel than with G-rated tyres.
Results can vary with type of car or climatic conditions but the performance gaps are proven."

"1* Performance measured in accordance with the testing methods set by Regulation CE 1222/2009. European Commission’s Impact Assessment SEC (2008) 2860."
They are self assigned, just like the UTQG ratings and what was proposed previously for the US for rolling resistance. No difference there.

What is interesting is that they use RRC.

But in my search I found that there seemed to be little in the enforcement area. What was published wasn't policed in any effective way.

Back in 2016, there was a small campaign and they found quite a few violations, but only a few that were serious. However, there wasn't any report on what was done about the violations. Huge loophole!

That seems to be what is different between EU and the US. I know that NHTSA does do enforcement, however, they are reasonable to work with - BUT - for some reason, they didn't see fit to express this when they issued their first version of the rule.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!

Last edited by CapriRacer; 06-10-2020 at 08:54 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
roosterk0031 (08-07-2018)