View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 09:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
jdub
EcoModding Lurker

TDI Cup - '10 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup Street
90 day: 50.3 mpg (US)
Make sure you get all the fuel you pay for when filling up

I was just thinking about this practice the other day as I was filling up and realized that I hadn't heard of anyone else doing it or sharing it so I thought I would contribute it.

Whenever you fill up your vehicle and the hose trigger shuts off to prevent backsplash, if you put the nozzle in the pump and end the fill up, you are leaving in some cases over half a cup of fuel you paid for in the nozzle hose.

Pumps typically use a door with a switch that is activated by the nozzle end that goes in the tank to know when the nozzle head is placed back in the pump. This switch, when triggered instructs the pump to shut down and end the fueling session. If instead of putting the pump nozzle back in the pump, if you trigger the door by hand and then pull the trigger after this door has deactivated the session, in nearly every case the pump will allow you one more pull of the trigger to dispense the last little bit of fuel to clear the line/nozzle from your fill up. (Some older pumps actually have a manually operated lever that is engaged/disengaged by the user instead of the door, but the principle on pulling the trigger after activating the door or the lever/switch is the same).

This is fuel in the nozzle that you have paid for, but most people never do the extra pull because of the nature of the door and how its activated, so unless you manually trip the door by hand and leave the nozzle in the filler for the last pull, you are leaving that last little bit of gas at the station instead of dispensing it in your tank.

While half a cup of fuel does not seem like much, over 32 fill-ups it equals a an extra gallon of gas...

Try it next time you fill up and get every drop of what you are paying for.