View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #197 (permalink)
ishiyakazuo
Test Tool Engr.

Red Rocket - '02 Honda Civic LX Sedan
90 day: 33.57 mpg (US)

Bronze Bucket - '98 Toyota Corolla VE
90 day: 34.97 mpg (US)

Silver Bullet - '06 Hyundai Sonata GL
90 day: 31.58 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilk View Post
Another FIB, just noticed your location. Frankly, I think it's the flat terrain eco-driving in its purest form.

I've lived in this area 15 years. NW up and down I-90, then a few years W on I-88 and now back far NW on 90. Worked downtown a few years... Metra gets great gas mileage.

Could anyone who lives closer to Elgin explain the strange phenomenon I dubbed "Elgin Zone"? Speed limit west of Elgin is 65, and everyone sticks close to it. Speed limit east of Elgin is 55, and everyone seems to go 75+. What gives? Remember the Kennedy Funnel? Eight toll-lanes two 2+1 lanes and daily parking lots...
I've been in the 'burbs my whole life. Metra does get amazing mileage My office is right by one of the stations, so I'm looking to get a house on the same train line when I move next.

The Elgin Zone phenomenon is so true, but if I had to hazard a guess about why it happens, it probably has to do with population density -- west of Elgin, the density drops tremendously. With more people, people think they can get away with more.