View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #45 (permalink)
stefanv
EcoModding Lurker

2001 Saturn - '01 Saturn SL1
90 day: 41.68 mpg (US)
Minor Improvements

I haven't done any more significant mods, but have cleaned up a few things.

The first was a partial redo of the grill block and air dam extension. Last year, one grill block was shattered when I hit a cat in the winter, and the air dam extensions got broken a few times. The ABS plastic I used gets brittle in the winter, but I decided I'd stick with that for the grill blocks, as that was really an unusual impact, but find something more flexible for the air dams.

What I ended up doing was buying a black RubberMaid rectangular waste can (about 26" high), and cutting the air dam pieces out of one face of that. I was really impressed with the material, as it is quite thick (about 1/8"), very flexible, yet holds its shape when curved. I was really surprised how flexible the material was once cut out of the can, as the can itself is quite rigid. It's all in the shape.

To replace the grill block, I unscrewed the old patched-up one, and discovered that several of my mounting brackets had become dislodged by the feline collision. I had to reattach most of the ones on one side, and two on the opposite side. I also discovered that there was more damage to the car itself, in that the grill diffuser was broken in a few places. I patched it up with cable ties and a few screws, although in hindsight, I could have removed it since it serves no purpose when the grill is blocked.

Recall from my earlier posts that I had removed the factory radio and replaced it with an amplifier, hidden away behind my tablet display. I had some electrical noise issues, most of which were solved with a BHF (big honkin filter), but a few remained. The most annoying was that the HVAC blower motor sometimes produced crackling noises in the speaker, especially at low fan speed. I made a pair of capacitor-diode filters, one for the blower, and one for the fuel pump (whose whine I could also hear). I installed these across the power and ground lines to each motor.

These are the filters, each consisting of a 100nF capacitor and a 1N4001 diode, soldered to a small board, and enclosed in heatshrink:

They were attached using crimp-on splices, to the blower motor ...

... and fuel pump motor wires:

The blower one completely cured that problem, although the pump whine persists. Maybe it's not the fuel pump after all? (It only occurs when driving at low speeds, and cycles on and off.)

One last improvement was that I finally got around to making a bezel to better integrate the tablet into the instrument panel. It is made from a thin sheet of plastic, painted with matte black Krylon Fusion spray paint:

The bezel is cut to fit exactly into the radio opening (which is about 1/10" bigger than the tablet horizontally, and about 1/4" vertically). I left notches in the bezel to allow access to the tablet buttons (using a flat plastic stick) on the left, and to pry the tablet out from the right. I used a Sharpie to colour the exposed areas of the tablet black.

The bezel is attached to the tablet with double sided tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dam-block.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	24671   Click image for larger version

Name:	filters.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	24672   Click image for larger version

Name:	filter-blower.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	24673   Click image for larger version

Name:	filter-pump.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	24674   Click image for larger version

Name:	new-bezel-torque.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	24675  

Click image for larger version

Name:	new-bezel-map.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	24676  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stefanv For This Useful Post:
deluxx (08-17-2018), Ecky (08-14-2018), teoman (08-15-2018)