View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #33 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I hadn't noticed the year. 1971 was great:
Type I: first year for 2 models, the Standard and the Superbeetle
Type II: Last year for the Type I engine and first year for disk brakes
Ghia: last year for the original bumpers. The Type 34 was already gone
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Karmann_Ghia
Quote:
Genesis
Three companies and numerous individuals came together in the history of the Karmann Ghia. In the early 1950s, Volkswagen was producing its Volkswagen Beetle, and as post-war standards of living increased, executives at Volkswagen were at least receptive adding a halo model to its range, if not proactive. Luigi Segre was committed to expanding the international reputation of Carrozzeria Ghia. And Wilhelm Karmann had overtaken his family coachbuilding firm Karmann and was eager to augment his contracts building Volkswagen's convertible models.
Furthermore, the design bore striking styling similarities to Virgil Exner's Chrysler d'Elegance and K-310 concepts, which Ghia had been tasked with prototyping — and which in turn reflected numerous cues and themes developed previously by Mario Boano.[5] According to Virgil Exner's son, Virgil M. Exner Jr., Giovanni Savonuzzi was tasked with scaling down the full-sized d’Elegance, replacing "the Chrysler’s egg-crate grille with a gentle, boat-like prow.[11] Exner Jr. is further quoted as saying that the Karmann Ghia “was a direct, intentional swipe off the Chrysler d’Elegance. Givanni Savonuzzi was the engineer and designer who downsized the d’Elegance and made the Karmann Ghia out of it. Nobody minded it. It was wonderful.”[7]