Thread: Vents
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
I guess I need to explain myself better. I want hood vents, not a hood scoop. As air comes through the grill, I want it to be vented out the hood vents to go over the smoother top of my vehicle rather than forced underneath.
Yep, a Magnehelic gauge (manometer) is the way to go here--you can measure the pressure differential at various points across the hood. Site the vents where you have the greatest different between high underhood pressure and low overhood pressure.

I think using hood vents can have a positive effect on drag and lift; Hucho indicates in his Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles that this is both due to the venting of high pressure air underhood and the introduction of heated air to the airstream above the vehicle. We're seeing hood vents on more expensive cars--the 2008-2010 Viper introduced rather large hood vents, continued on the 2013-2017 Viper, which used two different designs; the current Corvette Z06, Z07, and ZR1 use them; various other super- and hypercars; the BMW i8 has a very nice radiator duct that vents to the center of the hood (I'll post a picture when I get back to my home computer). If you search this site for the Green Grand Prix Modding Thread, you'll see my setup and results of pressure testing; I'm planning on adding hood vents like you to reduce drag.

Last edited by Vman455; 08-16-2018 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: added picture
The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-15-2018)