View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 02:42 AM   #26 (permalink)
bgd73
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
This subject arises occasionally. It is so very logical:

light and tough == less crimple zone
heavy and weak is just as bad as heavy and strong. I have wrecked every category of auto...the subaru loyale was the miracle maker out of 3 in different weight categories (totalled) Anyway...9 years with metal plates pins, aches pains and twice as old as myself later...

I make videos while being a passenger in a tractor trailer. Upon a ride into the hills of western maine I sped up the rather legthy 20+ minute clip. We were behind a geo metro. the freaky little car was all over the place in the sped up clip. appeared normal while fiming. Looked just like a little bug with tiny wheels.the drivers head looked misproportianelty large in comparison to the little fish bowl he was driving (to save fule no doubt).

I found several that are surprising between safety and car weight. New steel and old steel is a factor too...ie: An old sube could rip an outback in half, while claimed to be 800 pound lighter...all on account of steel type and crumpleness...real bumpers, to the point where you could stand on them, or tow hook.airbags allowed airbags to engineer softer steel in todays cars, it is only part of the silent war for people who know better. Another backwards adding a star to so called true ratings...

I found many.