View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 06:03 AM   #200 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete View Post
this page says otherwise
(load PDF named Replacement Guidelines for Passenger and Light Truck Tires)

CapriRacer,

I appreciate the data, but when you say

.....missing quote.....

followed by:

.....missing quote.....

it makes it look like you are just showing the data that supports your point
(just an observation from the other end of the text - please don't take it personal)

Note: I truncated the end of the post.

I wondered if anyone was going to pick up on that and decided not to address that issue in the post. But since it has been brought up:

The notes at the end of the load table are labeled "permissible". This means something less than "recommended" (having gone through a similar discussion in the process of issuing another industry publication). These notes also come with stipulations as to when they are "permitted".

But my point about the difference in load carrying capacity remains. The table clearly shows they have different characteristics.

As has been pointed out, the RMA publication says you can swap P metrics with LT metrics: (the link above didn't work, but here's a link to the page so you can download the publication):

https://www.rma.org/publications/tir...TOKEN=85722324

If you were actually try to do what the publication suggests, you'll find there is a very small window where this is even possible - and that assumes that the rim is capable of handling the higher pressure - and most of the time it isn't - so for practical purposes, you can't interchange the 2 (except in some rare circumstances).

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!