View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 03:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I'm the odd one out I guess, we do use our dishwasher as intended.
But not for Teflon coated pans, things with wooden handles or prints etc and the odd bowl that just takes up too much space. Most of the stuff gets in though.

Every evening I have a small hand wash, and I use the spoils to rinse the worst of the plates. I used to clean the sieves regularly, but by scraping off the spoils they just stay clean so I rarely ever check them now, let alone clean them.

When we rent a house in a holiday park with a dishwasher the first thing I do is check it out. If it stinks I check the filter, which is then usually covered in vegetable and meat chunks and the like. Hey people, that stuff does not dissolve. It isn't a garbage can...

Anyway it uses some 7 gallon (27 liter) of water each time, which is less than I'd need to wash its load by hand by reasonable standards of cleanliness (500 times as clean as boyscouts standard)
I only have to use it every other day for my family of 4; it is pretty loaded then though.

All in all I'm happy to use the dishwasher.
I had to mend the wires that broke at the door hinge point, replace buttons that failed, and when it is cold it needs a batch of hot water (usually what remains of the hand washing) to unlock the pump level sensor valve for water level or it won't start. Sometimes I wish it dies for good so I can replace it by a better one. But if I can mend it... you know.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
Ecky (08-23-2018), samwichse (08-20-2018), Xist (08-19-2018)