View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 08:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
jdub
EcoModding Lurker

TDI Cup - '10 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup Street
90 day: 50.3 mpg (US)
The best answer I can offer you is it depends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
If I get the previous guys' half a cup, am I not getting all the gas I paid for?
It depends on how the pump works and how it allows flowback to prevent spillage of that last little bit of fuel from your fill up. If the valve on the nozzle allows that undispensed fuel back into the holding tank then you don't get the previous guys half a cup. Like I said, I haven't tested trying to pull the handle on an unactivated nozzle to see if the last guy's half a cup is still sitting in there or not. I need to test to see what happens on next fill up, but my theory would be that the check valve on the line somehow lets that undisepensed fuel back into the tank to prevent someone from splashing fuel from an unactivated nozzle and creating a dangerous situation. Anyone that needs to fill up soon can report back, I am on a full tank and it will be over a week before I can test this out and report back

Also, it depends on whether you consider that extra half a cup in the nozzle after you shut the fuel pump off yours or the next guys. In my case, I consider it mine so I take it. Because of this, you are not getting all the fuel you paid for.