View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 02:10 AM   #272 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
Don’t get me wrong, I understand that you’re cutting your rolling resistance but have you done any testing with regards to braking distance or wet traction? 68psi sounds high, and potentially unsafe
68 PSI is not something I feel comfortable with on driving with turns or on dirt roads where I live and sometimes to pizza delivery on. It would probably be fine, but I wouldn't risk it. I've been running 60 PSI for a few weeks now with no issues, including on gravel & wet roads; that's my normal tire pressure. I knew that the roads would be dry for my trip, and it was mostly highway so fewer sharp turns, which is the only reason I put them up to 68 PSI. I did notice slight "turbulence" from the wind occasionally on the highway this time, and the only changes compared to my last highway trip was no luggage, passengers, or seats (about 500 lbs lighter) and 68 PSI in the tires. Have not tested for braking, but due to hypermiling I almost never brake at speeds above 25 MPH. 60 PSI provides plenty of traction for me on wet roads--but my tires are also basically new still. I wouldn't run 68 PSI on wet roads. It was only a one time experiment when I felt the conditions would make it safe.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
The Following User Says Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
Ecky (08-20-2018)