View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 01:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.75 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
Why not seek out a VX hatch? It’s way older than your Gen7 but it’s proven to work
Not obdii compliant! Insurance as a 2 door hatch would be as bad as a coupe. There was a a halfway decent one locally but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
EDIT: there’s a HCH1 in the for sale section right now for $500... why not look for one of those?
Batteries. That's why. And bypassing the battery throws a CEL which doesn't let lean burn engage, defeating the whole point of getting one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
These fantasy swaps are a fun game. The swap you are thinking of is interesting. But it might be more hassle and cost than you might really want. I like the HCH1 option. A 2003-2005 Civic Hybrid manual. If you sunk a fraction of the money you might spend on the seventh gen HX/LX conversion, you could have a fully refurbished traction battery and gearing taller than any HX had (6th or 7th gen). It is a sedan too.

Also... be careful about older engine into newer body swaps. Some states won't let them onto the roads (Cali, for one example) because of smog regs.
Sigh. I was stagnant at mid 60s mpg for my last several weeks and I want to keep climbing!

Problem is that every so often it's another $2K to replace the battery, and bypassing it prevents lean burn so mpg won't be any better than my current setup.

What about buying a 7th gen sedan manual for about a thousand and having a cx tranny & kill switch installed?

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)