View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 11:24 AM   #54 (permalink)
trikkonceptz
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
Ooh! ooh! ooh!
Someone posted a link on bennelson's EV thread about a cheap vacuum pump for his brakes. The link shows how to use a fridge compressor to draw vacuum for vacuum bagging surfboards. But that got me thinkin'. How about using the entire system out of a household refrigerator to cool the car? Put the condenser under the car to dissipate the heat and the evaporator inside. Power the thing with a couple marine deep-cycles and an inverter. Like I said, I suppose I could put up with charging batteries every night. Need to get into the habit if I ever build an EV.
You may be on to something there ... visit a dump site and get a hold of an old fridge or even a water cooler set up, like the ones in offices. Either do maintain cold temperatures and are likely compact enough. If you do not carry passengers often I still think it may be best to set it up on the passenger side floor simply because you can pipe it into the recirc vent right there on the floor and use your a/c ducts to cool you off. Also it would leave the power cord really close to the cars 115v jack. I would then weigh the amperage draw against that of the car's a/c compressor as to whether or not you would even need a seperate converter and batteries.

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???