View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #2562 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
We've had a lot of rain lately, like a lot of short bursts and a few good nights with hours of heavy rain.
After a week or two of that my grass started to get green patches again, and now 75% of it has grown enough to get mown.
First time in nearly 3 months...

Still we do have a water deficit; the Rhine is still only trickling in, and the water in the IJsselmeer has salinated past the acceptable level for drinking water, so it cannot be used anymore. They are now bleeding it off into the sea.
(my brother-in-law once worked for a firm that built an experimental power plant that utilizes membranes to generate power from a flow of salt seawater on one side and sweet lakewater on the other. I bet that must have been halted for a while).

The cost of power varies heavily, especially with relatively low oil prices. Your coal mine can burn it locally to generate energy or put it on the road or rails for a thousand miles to a market where it competes with coal shipped in by sea. Naturally it is cheaper at the mine.

When you burn coal it will produce ash and pollution. I don't know how many measures are taken to prevent the environment from its direct and indirect effects and how much is put on top of the price to make the customer pay for it, but I guess not much.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-30-2018)