View Single Post
Old 08-27-2018, 03:12 AM   #2570 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Almost all of the cost of a solar power generating plant is building cost.
A fossil fuel plant may be much cheaper to build, Its cost is mainly the fuel it burns.
If you need a lot of power fast and on the cheap you build a fossil fuel plant.
So part of the problem is initial cost.

Then there's development in PV panels. They keep getting cheaper and more efficient.
That's what is holding me back. My roof is not ideally orientated and cut up by large dormers. If I want to fully cover my electricity usage I'd have panels in 3 different orientations and partial shading. But if say 30% efficient panels get reasonably priced I could make do with only the best locations.
So I'm keeping my eyes out for a substantial price drop or an efficiency gain.

Because of our energy tax PV panels are worthwhile for almost every house owner. A colleague of mine has an installation that is projected to have a ROI of less than 7 years, assuming it covers 80% of his annual electricity usage.
We had a sunny spring and summer. It was built last February and has already produced 3500 kWh by now, so he expects to go way beyond his 4400 kWh yearly usage...

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-30-2018)