View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #273 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Paul: regale me with tales of your superior 72v performance. How fast have you gone? Has anybody honked and/or shaken their fist at you?
NO ONE has shaken their fist at me, or honked!!! Well... Once someone got angry before I knew how to downshift. I took it out of gear to coast, and I had to coast to a complete stop on the road before I could put it in gear again.

Also, I've been treating the batteries like they were new born babies. Only yesterday did I allow myself to accelerate as in a normal car in 1st gear AND second gear until I was cruising at 35 mph. I kept looking at the amps. These batteries can take it, though. The speed limit around here varies from 25 mph to 40 mph, so I probably won't go much over 40. It had a lot left at 35.

Another reason I have taken it easy, is that I FIXED THE BRAKES! I have never done that before! I keep half expecting the steering wheel to fall off, and for the brakes to go out, but they work great. I'm starting to trust the car.

Overall, if I want to accelerate it like a normal car, it can do it. I drove the "other" car (gasoline) yesterday, and it was IDLING at stop signs! It was so weird!