View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
hat_man
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Turbine style rims

I was reading the thread that Dogman started about side skirts and one of the comments got me thinking. Side skirts are for keeping turbulent air from under the car right? Even though some gets under there anyhow, less must be better.

These are the rims I had on my old truck. I still have them because I think they look neat and they don't cast them anymore. The "blades" are perpendicular to the truck, but what if the blades were tipped to draw air out from under a vehicle?

A balance would have to be found so air being drawn out isn't at such a high velocity as to cause more turbulence along the sides, but would it be a help or a hindrance?

I could see where if you had a large airdam and side dams (?) extending down from the rocker panels, it would make for too low a pressure underneath, causing down force and that would be bad. But with a standard suspension and minimal damming, would it help smooth out the airflow underneath?

I can't see where tipping the blades the other direction so air moved inward would be good either. It would cause lift and maybe dangerous handling. Maybe if the amount of down force could be counter acted somewhat. Would it make the vehicle more "neutral" (less down force) and improve FE? Or help accelerate airflow under the vehicle? Depending on degree of tip or if the incoming air could be directed of course.

Or....... I've finally gone off my rocker, letting my brain have free reign until this broken foot heals.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ford-ltd-crown-victoria-wheels-1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	24746  

Last edited by hat_man; 08-29-2018 at 02:46 PM..