View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 03:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
I would be very interested. I have two Dodge diesel trucks as well as a Freightliner diesel van. Batteries die on a constant basis out here in the heat of the desert.
It's a sore subject for me still...

My Dodge/Cummins batteries bit the dust, and my dad had been driving it. I told him to hold off buying batteries and that I would replace them with a supercap/battery, and I bought the parts.

He went out and spent a couple hundred on new batteries anyway rather than give me a week to replace them. He hasn't had a job in years, so it's not like he's flush with money. Just impulsive when it comes to spending, and he still relies on newspaper "sale" prices rather than the internet to actually find good deals on things.

I've got the supercap built, but it's not necessary since the truck has new batteries.

I'll see if the batteries can be repurposed for tractors or something and pick up where I left off, and document the build. Will be slow going because I have many projects, a 3 month old baby, and need to move to in the next couple months.

I've also got a Li-ion battery to test the virtual alt delete idea from the other thread, but haven't got around to that project yet either. I need to fix the infotainment/NAV issue first in my Acura.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 08-29-2018 at 03:30 PM..