View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Deep Blue- Suburban Streamlining

Edit: I reset the project, the new version is below:

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post599156

-------------------------------------

All,

I have a build thread on the Central Subforum, but I wanted to make a thread in the Aerodynamics Subforum to focus more on the design than the build. I have a 1994 K2500 GMC Suburban, nicknamed Deep Blue, which has been heavily modified. I am getting to the point where I am going to start some more major aerodynamic modifications. Attached is a picture of the patient as she sits. MPG is sitting at around 23, goal is to be over 30.

Current Aero Mods-
*Roof Rack Delete
*Flush Bumper Swap
*Conveyor Belt Air Dam- V1.0

My next big project is I want to make kamm back attachments to add to the rear windows of the barn doors of the Suburban. I would love to chop the top and do a full boat tail, but I don’t have time for that much body work right now and I want to keep the project marching forward. I have considered a folding/nesting design but I believe that is beyond the scope of this Version 1.0 design.

Attached is a theoretical shot of what I am imagining right now, basically the kamm would extend to the rear bumper so the overall vehicle doesn’t get any longer. I was thinking on the sides of tapering at a 4:1 aspect ratio AST top view template, which I am sure I have saved around here somewhere. I will remove the roof mounted third brake light and install a light into the kamm shell. I am considering construction out of extrudedpolystyrene (XPS) foam covered in fiberglass, similar to how I made the bedcover for my Tacoma.

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180827_070444.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	24748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban Kamm Sketch.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	24749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban Kamm Tail 2 Design.jpg