View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chuck Biscuits
FNG

CRX - '86 Honda CRX HF
Need advice for next car

Hi,
I am the proud owner of an ‘86 CRX HF AND a ‘94 Civic VX. I love both rides, but want to upgrade, for a couple of reasons. Here in the PNW, my carbureted HF sometimes ices up, leaving me stranded until the carb thaws out. It is a one-owner car (prior to my ownership) with about 185k on it. My VX is also a one-owner car, however, I just recovered it after it was stolen 5 months ago. Interior stripped, 2 stock wheels gone, unknown damage/abuse. Started right up in the mini storage unit where it was found. Had it towed to the house, but haven’t delved into it yet.

So, in the summer, the HF gets 48+mpg with NO hypermiling techniques. That is fantastic, however, once the winter gas and the cold temps arrive, 38mpg is more the norm. Plus the uncertainty of carb ice.

I bought the VX to replace the HF, but never really got the mpg numbers I was hoping for. Need to pull the intake, clean the PCV ports and all that jazz. Just never got around to it. I was renting a garage across the alley. The new tenant wanted it, so I was out. 2 weeks later, the VX was but a memory. Until last weekend, that is!!

Long story short, I recently got a new job with significantly better pay, and would like to find something less old, less fiddly, more economical. Don’t want a Prius, but it may be my best option. Have been thinking about a Corolla; I’ve never owned a Toyota, been a Honda guy my whole life.

So, I’m looking for options. If I could get low- to mid-40-mpgs, with cruise and maybe even AC, I would be interested. No 3rd-gear-P&G, no aero, just not my cup of tea.

Please enlighten me, oh wise ones.