View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #167 (permalink)
hat_man
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Not trying to beat a seemingly dead horse here or anything but I have to wonder if people did see a mpg increase, not from the lubricating properties, but from the detergent properties.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the extra lubrication is beneficial (especially to engine longevity) but if adding it to the fuel mix cleans out the injectors, and maybe the spark plugs (and keeps them clean with every application), wouldn't that increase FE a little? I'm not sure how it affects or counters the ethanol in fuel, but we have all read (and I think most agree, but I could be wrong) that non-ethanol "straight gas" gives a bit better FE than ethanol blended fuel. Maybe from the ethanol attracting water and not burning as well?

We always tell the new folks here, when they ask about getting better FE, to check and replace fouled plugs and clean or replace dirty injectors. 9 times out of 10 they all see an improvement, but then the improvement levels out as it should. Plugs can only be so new, and injectors so clean.

I do wonder if the gains seen by some are slightly offset by the lower octane from the mix. If the octane remained the same, would the reported (minimal) gains be minimally larger? I realize we are talking about extremely small differences here, but this was an open discussion, not a hard ABA experiment.

Last edited by hat_man; 09-01-2018 at 01:18 PM..