View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 09:27 PM   #31 (permalink)
BigPike
EcoModding Lurker

LarryRose and all, thanks for the discussion on insulating eaves. I have been getting ready to deal with this exact problem, and a google search led me to your forum.
I found the Tuff-R iso board at HomeDepot, and have a question or two on installation.
Due to the slope of the roof, access from the attic is impossible so I am tackling the problem from the outside. I have a brick/cinderblock house built in '56, and my main problem has been cold air coming in over the header board and behind the wall due to large gaps.
I had used the pink board on another part of the house and am now switching the the blue iso board.
When you are stacking the layers of board as shown in the diagram, are you:
1. doing anything to the boards, ie removing backing (TuffR has aluminum foil on both sides and Super TuffR has a facer on one side and
2. how are you sealing them in between the rafters?
I can feel the gap inside the bricks (space is too tight for me to get my fat head up there to see) and the cardboard supporting the blown in insulation is about a foot in from the header. I can feel some bx supplying my kitchen cabinet lights.
I was thinking I should try to foam the large gaps, lay the 3 boards in as shown in the diagram, with the boards on top of the cardboard in the attic (ie push back the insulation), seal the exposed edges with expanding foam, then get up in the attic and push the insulation back. I assume I should go over the top of the bx, or push it down as best I can.

The sequence of posts here have been excellent, and I appreciate any responses.