View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 11:54 AM   #2719 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
why don't we see

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
So solar power is more expensive because power just happens to be more expensive some places?
Ok let's pretend that's possible.

Then if it just happens to cost more, oh idk everywhere I can think of to check and some how I always only looked in the wrong place its a statical anomaly, so where is some place that relies heavily on solar power and it's cheaper than fossil fuel?
Where is the success story?
If what people claim is true and solar does cost half as much as fossil fuel then why don't we see that?
I'm reading 'FORDLANDIA' right now.It's about Henry Ford's captured rubber plantation project in the Amazon of Brazil,which began in 1928.It began shortly before the Wall Street Crash and Great Depression began.
They mention in passing,that the rubber plantation would not break even,and return any profit for 7-years(if everything went right),and that no capitalist would ever consider tying up capital for that long before profits could be realized.
In recent history,3-years was the metric for a return on investment with commercial loans.
Industrial/Commercial banking houses,like JP Morgan Chase and Chemical Bank,etc., may balk at any plan for investment which has a 'longer' payout,even if after breakeven,overhead trends towards zero cost,as in the case of renewables.
If so,investing may be left to less risk adverse venture capitalists looking at the longer game.
The concept of 'free' fuel would be appealing to some.That's what got me going in aerodynamics.There's more oil in the sky than in the ground.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
niky (09-05-2018), redpoint5 (09-04-2018)