View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
For which cars can you find inexpensive low-mileage engines?

I have previously found 1996 - 2000 Civic (non-HX) and 1998 - 2002 Accord engines for something like $300, shipped from Japan, with around 50,000 miles. Of course, I have never found anything of the sort for Chorizo. Is it easy to find these deals and for which cars are they available? I tried finding one for a Forester like the one that I had and they were expensive, as were Civic engines. I did not look for Accord engines just now because I really need to be doing other things, but had I been able to find a $500 forester engine when I was replacing the head gasket I might have just swapped in the lower-mileage engine. After all, many people remove the engine before replacing the head gasket.

However, while I initially advertised that I had replaced the head gasket and other components, it seemed that worked against me, and simply stating that the car worked great and I did not have any problems was what worked in the end. The guy who ended it up purchasing it took it to his mechanic, who did not find anything significant, and money exchanged hands.

If I advertised that the car had 120,000 miles, but the engine only had 50,000, I would have needed to answer many questions.

What do you guys think?