View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rosieuk
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I typically just upload them to imgur and then add {img} {/img} (only with [ instead) tabs around the URL to them.

Honda's EPS implementation doesn't have any hydraulic fluid at all. It's direct manual steering at higher speeds, and there's a motor bolted to the rack that adds assistance at lower speeds.
There is a company in the UK that adds adjustable electric power steering to classic cars via the steering column, and they have done a landcrab, so the parts would be there to do that - it'd just be a matter of wiring up the switches into the remote shift (very much like the lockout switch for overdrive on the Humber Sceptre). In fact you could do the same thing with that switch just fit it in reverse so it energised in 1st & 2nd - and have another switch for reverse (since reverse in landcrabs is basically 4th gear plus a lifty thing).
That's basically the same idea - surprised that Honda don't advertise that a bit more as regards fuel efficiency - but then joined up thinking isn't often the premise of the average car buyer (I wanna discount on the basis it's not power steering when I don't need it /winge mode : off).

Just found the suspension is riding 20mm low so need to get it pumped up a bit. Interestingly hydrolastic suspension didn't take off generally in the 60s/70s because it needed powerful computers to simulate and set the system up for different cars - the displacers and the various thicknesses of rubber, metal components and the pressures inside the system (including tyre pressures, which really affect the ride) needed computers to be worked out - so despite better handling and more level ride - it died a death pretty much.