View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 06:32 AM   #161 (permalink)
hamsterpower
one of thOOOse people

twitchy - '98 honda civic dx + sir + ls
90 day: 30.2 mpg (US)

Norman - '14 Ford E-350 EXT
90 day: 16.18 mpg (US)

Silver - '12 VW Golf Base
90 day: 26.1 mpg (US)

Sparta - '19 Honda CB300R
90 day: 84.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Just another billionaire wasting money to show off how rich he is. Basically the high-tech equivalent to lighting your cigars with $100 bills.
How many tens of thousands would it have cost Space X to do what most rocket builders do in this case? Build a two ton block of concrete or steel. This car was something he had and could do without at little to no cost. The pay back was a lot of publicity for the both young companies. Seems like a worthy business decision to me.

I did say "bet it all" a while back. In quotes because it was a mild exaggeration. But he has bet a majority of his liquid assets, more than a few times to keep Tesla going. Does he have a much larger fortune net worth? Sure, but that is usually tied up in other ventures.

My point at the time was he successfully keeps Tesla on the verge of running out of money, a bad thing to Wall Street, to keep innovation (evolution?) of the industry moving fast. His goal all along.

Tesla has, in a decade, flipped the industries of car manufacturing and car dealerships on their heads while also building up a a network of charging stations across the world. That would have taken a generation or more without his drive.