Thread: Rocket-tabs
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #57 (permalink)
Andrei_ierdnA
EcoModding Lurker

SmurFITte - '13 Honda Fit LX
90 day: 38.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacz42 View Post
I have not tested with the smooth hubcaps. All I can say is my wife is very happy with the results. She has the rogue, it went from 22mpg to 27-28mpg. She does drive like she stole it.
I found this early message particularly interesting in potentially explaining the jump from 22 mpg to 27-28 mpg, which is approx 25% increase.

"She does drive like she stole it."

I am not truly a hypermiler, but I do keep track of all my fuel-ups on Fuelly.com and use a ScanGauge II all the time to see instant and average fuel mileage and other parameters.

Even without using any sort of tabs, vortex generators, or other aerodynamic mods, I can easily achieve a 25-30% fuel mileage difference between my daily trips to work. Same routes, same times everyday.

The biggest sources of variability are traffic conditions and the nut behind the wheel.

For example when I'm in a rush, speeding, passing traffic, weaving between highway lanes or dealing with heavy traffic, I easily burn 30% more fuel than when I'm taking my time, driving within the speed limit, coasting to a stop and using the instant fuel gauge as a guideline.

As such, your wife could have simply stopped driving like she stole it, after the rocket tabs were installed, and like "magic" the mpg increased by 25%.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 09-19-2018 at 01:25 PM..