Thread: Wind turbines
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 06:02 PM   #129 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The problem is natural gas infrastructure is almost wholly powered by nature gas it's self, some ares may continue to see gas service for quite some time. But the control systems for the long distance distribution systems and that power the natural gas refineries needs comes from utility power.
The control systems set target flow rates, max pressures, minimum speeds. Isolated compressors have enough local intelligence to avoid rupturing their discharge piping, sucking the walls in on the supply piping, etc. At least, the ones that I have been involved in do. The people who program pipeline controls don't change much stuff, even if it sounds like a good idea. I'd bet that the controls are still the same as I remember ...

Quote:
I work with people who are former oil and gas plant ops, they say once the backups run out of diesel 90 to 95% of people lose gas.
There are no natural gas compressors, at least there were not, inside city limits that run from the gas. They were all electric. Maybe due to noise? The people in the cities may not have natural gas ... but the boilers in apartment buildings and condo complexes need electricity anyway. To run the pumps and the fans. So they would be out of luck even if they had natural gas .. unless they have a fireplace maybe. They certainly would not have water.

Quote:
There was a bill introduced to the Senate in 2010 to mandate that natural gas infrastructure be made independent of the power grid but it failed to pass.
If natural gas infrastructure was inherently designed to work with out the electrical grid why the bill?
I guess we had some designers that were a bit more paranoid .. or less paranoid .. or whatever.

Good info - thanks!