View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 05:04 AM   #22 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

The problem is after the 80s TPI motors, and the Fords TPI 4.6 motors it seems everyone is into a HP race, to see how much HP they can get.

I have not seen any MPG motors.

To make HP takes lots of Air and Fuel..specially fuel.

Again: From all I have read about MPG I come up with two ways SMALL and LIGHT with small motor, to make them work they run higher RPM.

My Ford 4.6 can really pump it in at WOT...BUT it is moving a lighter car than my van, and the next step up in Fords have a rep for being gas gushers. Bad MPG.

But I am driving a BIG van, big in wind resistance (pushing a box though the air) and heavy.

The trick seems to be a big TORQUE motor. There is a reason diesels are used on big rigs, TORQUE.

Torque is what gets you down the road.

So here is my lay out: A 385 Chevy with 192 Swirl port heads, max RPMS with them stock 6000, they have been cleaned, no polish as the ruff walls are better for low RPM power…3 angle valve seats, Perfect Circle valve seals (Chevy has a history of bad valve seals) like new guilds or replacements as needed, stock valve springs, new keepers, and roller tip rockers to minimize pushing the valves back and forth.

The stock Chevy/Cadillac cam, or a 400 aftermarket cam IF it can be had With Stock timing and built for a roller) as is the cam I have as a roller cam.

I am now thinking of a Comp Cams cam Exreme Energy Cam # 08-500-8 with perhaps a set of Rhoads Lifters…

The block is cleaned and ready to go, I have Keith Black “D” Shaped disc pistons (allows running low Octane gas) with a stock 350 crank so all I need is a 400 crank fitted.

Feeding it will be a 85 to 92 Chevy TPI intake. Again these intakes are said to produce 30 to 35% MORE torque, HP and MPG over the same engine running a carb.

Running the PCM will be a add on computer card that give me almost total control of the fuel system.. http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_P4_Flash.php

This is my planned motor so I am looking on how to make it even stronger at low RPMs.

I feel I am nearly there.

Rich

Last edited by racprops; 09-23-2018 at 05:11 AM..