Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #569 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Tesla model 3 interior, looks like a sci fi movie.
Hate that it has no actual buttons.
Everything goes via the touch screen.
Anyone who knows anything remotely of cars, knows how hard it is to operate a touch screen while driving.

but you can't deny that not a lot of people are turned on by the front.
There's something terribly missing:
Like a grill.

I'm still not sold on a tesla though (or any electric for what it's worth).
Economically, it makes no sense for me to buy one, until they are able to defy the laws of physics, and make it charge twice as fast on a 120V outlet. I don't have 240V outlets where I live, and drive 70 miles a day, for at least 5 days a week.
Many people initially assume the lack of buttons in the Model 3 will be a big problem, and later decide they prefer the touch screen. I've been told it's very intuitive. Not only that, but the car can be voice controlled.

The current fad is large, superficial grills on vehicles where half of the grill is actually covered up, and just there for appearances. It's a fad I do not think will hold up well over time, and we'll look back on this era like we do with tailfins on cars of the '50s. The Model 3 is ahead of the times style-wise, and should hold up well over the years. I find minimalistic grills to be very aesthetically pleasing and large grills to be ostentatious.

On a 20 A breaker, you can pull ~1.6 kWh at 120v. On a 15 A breaker, you can pull 1.4 kWh. 11-13 hours would give you a full charge every night assuming you get 4 miles per kWh.

Even then, you don't need to begin each day with a full charge. At 200+ miles of range, the Tesla can slowly lose charge each day and make up for it with weekend charging.

EVs make the most sense for those with the greatest commute distances since the cost of electricity and maintenance are so minimal.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 09-24-2018 at 07:19 PM..